$30,000 per year Starting Date:
As early as 8/1/19
Know Theatre of Cincinnati, a 99 seat contemporary theatre company in its 22nd season, seeks a passionate, energized candidate for the position of Technical Director to join its small, but mighty, team of full time employees.
Know Theatre is Cincinnati’s Theatrical Playground. The Know showcases unexpected voices, new works, and plays that embrace the inherent theatricality of the live experience. Know Theatre seeks to be a place where artists and audiences feel welcome to take artistic risks, creating work that is cutting edge and accessible.
As one of only a handful of theatres around the country led by a designer, Know Theatre prides itself on the production values it can achieve on a limited budget.
Know produces 5-8 MainStage productions per season on a year round schedule, along with several smaller scale Second Stage productions and special events designated as “Irregular Programming.”
Know also produces the annual Cincinnati Fringe Festival, a 14 day festival with pop up venues throughout Know’s Historic Neighborhood, Over-the-Rhine. Overview
The role of Technical Director is a full time position that requires flexible work hours depending on the needs of production schedule. At Know Theatre, the TD has responsibilities that extend beyond the scope of industry standard technical director positions.
These responsibilities can be broken down into several categories.
- Technical Direction - General
- Technical Direction - MainStage
- Technical Direction - Irregular Programming
- Technical Direction - Fringe
- Strategic/Season Planning
- Facilities & Equipment Maintenance
It is worth noting that at Know Theatre, the technical director also holds duties that would belong to a Master Carpenter at a larger organization. Specific Duties
Duties under each of these categories include, but are not limited to, the following. Technical Direction - General
- Maintains the scenic shop space and offsite storage space.
- Acts as a master carpenter on scenic builds.
- Maintains the physical assets of the production department, including lighting, sound, and video equipment, rigging supplies, seating, risers, and stock scenery and platforms.
- Ensures safety of scenery for actors, technicians, and audiences.
- Coordinates and takes responsibility for the execution of the preparation of the physical theatre space for performers and audiences.
- Assists in coordinating underground set up for each MainStage show.
- Annually assesses the contents of costume, furniture, and prop storage areas in order to balance space usage with future production needs.
- Coordinates hiring, scheduling, and training of technician overhire, including, but not limited to, carpenters, electricians, and painters as needed.
- Works with Artistic Director to set Production Budgets relating to scenery and props.
- Creates and executes material shop orders based on budget and designs. Technical Direction - MainStage
- Communicates with Stage Manager and production team to ensure a clear understanding of final scenic product once designs are finalized.
- Maintains communication regarding any changes with scenic designs.
- Drafts construction drawings from design drawings.
- Works with designers on any modifications required to conform to the budget, time, and/or personnel limitations.
- Sets build schedules both off and on site.
- Coordinates with the resident stage manager to set onstage work schedules.
- Attends technical rehearsals to facilitate the integration of all technical elements with performers.
- Works with scenic artists to facilitate the completion of scenic build in a timely fashion. Technical Direction - Irregular Programming
- Provides technical support as needed for second stage programming, special events, fundraising, and rental events.
- Assists in scheduling of irregular programming events based on technical capacity. Technical Direction - Fringe
- Oversees load in, strike, and changeover of fringe venues.
- Works with Irregular Production Manager to set load in and tech schedules.
- Works with Irregular Production Manager to plan equipment distribution amongst venues.
- Prepares drawings of venue spaces for with architectural features and determines seating and riser layouts.
- Coordinates technical support for food trucks and outdoor/offsite fringe related programming.
- Serves as a primary technical contact during festival.
- Serves as standby venue tech in case of illness or emergency.
- Serves as technician for evening “bar series” events. Strategic/Season Planning
- Assists in setting production calendar.
- Assists in assessing technical requirements of proposed shows during season selection. Facilities & Equipment Maintenance
- Assists in troubleshooting lighting equipment.
- Primary contact for fire safety, building security, and structural and functional building issues.
- Ensures the theatre and safety equipment are maintained in accordance with laws, regulations, and codes.
- Coordinates facilities repair and maintenance, either by performing repairs to the extent possible, organizing staff to achieve repairs, or coordinating the hire of professionals.
- Acts as project supervisor for all major facility repairs and renovations. Additional Responsibilities
- Answers phones during regular office hours when available.
- Participates in facilities cleanup as needed. Compensation
- This is a full time salaried position at $577 per week, paid bi-monthly ($30,000 annually).
- Health insurance coverage is available through Know Theatre’s group plan.
- Each full time Know Theatre employee is accorded 2 weeks of vacation per fiscal year. Vacation is scheduled as can be accommodated by KTC’s production schedule. Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in technical theatre, or equivalent professional experience.
- Proficiency with Vectorworks and/or Autocad.
- Excellent technical skills, scenic construction techniques, rigging, and budget management.
- Working knowledge of sound and lighting equipment and consoles.
- Proficiency with standard office software.
- Clear and effective communicator, both written and verbal. Ability to work independently or collaboratively with designers, directors and other staff.
- Experience in managing crews.
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Theatrical background and understanding of the theatrical process.
- Ability to multi-task and work with deadlines. Must have ability to plan projects and work independently.
- Ability to remain calm and productive in difficult situations, demonstrating good “people skills” and a sense of humor.
- Ability to work long hours, including weekends and evenings, as necessary during technical rehearsals.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and handle extensive standing, walking, and step-climbing.
- High level of comfort on ladders.
- Ability to drive a car and ~16’ truck.
- Possession of a valid Driver’s license.
- Experience as a Technical Director or Associate Technical Director on productions of a comparable scope.
Know Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to have our work and the artists who make it reflect the diversity of our community and the world around us. Applicants from all backgrounds are both welcomed and encouraged to apply.
For questions or to apply, please send cover letter and resume with references to firstname.lastname@example.org