High Level Managerial/Administrative Functions for Non-Profit Arts Organization POSITION OPEN IMMEDIATELY
Manifest seeks a dynamic, highly organized, detail-oriented, and passionate person to fill the multifunctional position of Operations Manager. At Manifest the Operations Manager works directly with the Executive Director, as well as Exhibition Coordinator, Drawing Center Coordinator, Operations Assistant, and the Board of Directors. The position requires a self-starter who can work independently with a big picture view of prioritizing tasks and non-profit organizational needs. This is a full-time high-level administrative and managerial position. Currently the position is supported by one part-time assistant, and itself serves as the pivot for a very tight-knit high-performing team of five paid staff.
The Operations Manager is a hub of activity, communications, and action at Manifest, overseeing the organization’s mission-centered functions on both an internal and public level. Primary responsibilities include non-profit finance management and bookkeeping, personnel management, grant writing (coordination, reporting and completion), volunteer recruitment, event setup and planning, and ensuring the efficient operation of four program areas: public exhibitions, the Manifest Press (annual publications), Drawing Center operations, and a unique 12-month artist residency program in coordination with the Executive Director.
Additional aspects of this role include some project management and support, especially related to exhibitions and publications. Training or equivalent experience in office management, people management, leadership, and bookkeeping is a must. The ideal candidate will bring existing knowledge and skill while also being an eager learner with a very positive attitude, able to communicate and relay information, feedback and direction clearly from Executive Director to staff, and possess the authority to engage directly with staff resulting in motivation and upward growth. Candidates must be highly organized, detail-oriented, forward thinkers who can optimize time management and task management of the individual position while prioritizing and juggling organization-wide responsibilities and needs. Candidates must understand and support the mission of the organization, and should have at the very least a basic interest in the visual arts and an investment in their place in society. It is preferable that applicants have experience in proof reading, text editing, grant writing and reporting, non-profit finance, donor relations and a familiarity with non-profit operations.
Candidates must be flexible to accommodate occasional special event needs and gallery staffing needs. The position offers the chance to interact with visual artists from all over the world, as well as a vibrant local community, and to be a central part of the creative energy at Manifest. The opportunity to help shape Manifest as it prepares its long-range plan, and to influence operations and security for the coming years is a unique benefit. Position: Operations Manager
2727 Woodburn Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45206 Hours:
40 hrs/week (full time) Salary:
$17 / hr Reports to:
Executive Director Application Due:
Applications accepted immediately until position is filled. Start Date Goal:
On or before November 10, 2017 (There will be a 3 to-5 week transition period for training and orientation, phasing in to a full time role as the current staff phases out to ensure ample training opportunity and smooth handoff). Responsibilities Managerial
- Coordinate directly with Executive Director; oversee Exhibition Coordinator, Drawing Center Coordinator, Operations Assistant, and Volunteers in daily operations.
- Work as the right-hand to Executive Director, second in command of the organization and first contact for on-site communications.
- Manage the day-to-day operation, scheduling, and performance supervision of all staff and volunteers, and conduct periodic performance evaluations.
- Coordinate staff meetings as needed based on programming. Lead meetings when appropriate, or facilitate meetings as needed between Director and program staff, as needed.
- Oversee the implementation of program direction as given by Executive Director. Facilitate follow-through, understanding, and clarity to ensure effective overall organizational operations, including staff wellbeing, and take lead on moving the organization’s day-to-day operations forward in consultation with the Director.
- Be responsible for setting the professional tone of interaction, follow-through, communication, documentation, etc. on the part of all staff and volunteers.
- Reinforce organization vision and philosophical direction to all staff and volunteers, understanding and translating from Director role to staff and volunteer roles.
- Oversee the maintenance of high quality results in all aspects of operations, both in front of and behind the scenes, including best practices for facilities, public interaction, etc.
- Be a first-contact for the Manifest Artists in Residence who are working on-site in the MAR (residency studios).
- Effectively communicate and delegate tasks to the part-time Operations Assistant.
- Oversee and delegate the maintaining of professional appearance and organization of all public and staff spaces in all Manifest facilities.
- Manage all staff hiring processes. Finance and Funding
- Manage routine bookkeeping, reconcile monthly bank statements, and work with Executive Director and other staff on the planning and monitoring of yearly budget.
- Responsible for working with CPA to fulfill tax and employee requirements each year, as well as managing payroll, income tax, and sales tax payments.
- Work to maintain a grant ‘radar’, overseeing deadlines, application materials, and grant-writing activities. Maintain/coordinate an ongoing grant reporting process (collaborating with Executive Director and other staff as appropriate).
- Oversee membership and annual fund campaigns, recognition, and communications. Project Management, Manifest Press, and Exhibition Support
- Develop and maintain distribution channels for Manifest’s publications and oversee this distribution and sales.
- Manage and oversee the fulfillment of all internet book orders (via Paypal and Amazon.com).
- Work with Executive Director and Contracted Designer on the production of Manifest Press publications. Prepare and proof text, materials, generate pertinent data and communicate with artists as necessary.
- Work with Executive Director on curatorial related artist communications and jury processing.
- Process all exhibition related materials, including fees, images, and email communications per exhibition.
- Handle book inventory, storage, organization, and corresponding planning of Manifest Press.
- Assist with events, oversee sales procedures, train interns and other staff on sales procedures, and manage some of Manifest’s PR efforts. Administrative
- Oversee/organize postal mailings, including postcards, posters, membership campaigns, and donor acknowledgments.
- Work with and supervise student interns and/or volunteers each week, working in tandem with Exhibition Coordinator & Drawing Center Coordinator as appropriate.
- Routine office tasks including ordering/purchasing of supplies, inventory, equipment, etc.
- Generate and maintain all public documents: exhibition materials, Board Minutes, etc.
- Maintain accurate records and statistics for Manifest’s activities, programs, funders, including historical documentation, press coverage archives, and various databases.
- Oversee the upkeep of an effective filing system for paper and digital documents.
- Oversee and delegate accordingly internship and volunteer recruitment efforts. Qualifications
- Strong organizational and verbal/written communications skills.
- Skilled in use of Quickbooks for bookkeeping, and other financial management processes.
- Skilled with word-processing and text editing are essential.
- Be smart, perceptive, eager, asker of good questions but also able to find solutions independently.
- Able to go from seeing details on the micro scale to zooming out to view the big picture with ease.
- Experience in office management, setting and meeting priorities, leading staff, and making very efficient use of time.
- Be a self-starter with strong initiative and work ethic, and able to make effective decisions.
- Comfort and familiarity with the Macintosh operating system, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email processing, Apple Pages, Numbers, Acrobat Pro, Quickbooks, Google Docs and Calendar, iCal, and other scheduling and planning technology. Some experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and InDesign is a plus, but not required.
- Comfort with email as a primary means of communication both internally and externally.
- Comfort with using social media in a professional context.
- A friendly, outgoing demeanor and a desire to contribute to Manifest’s ongoing growth into an exciting and mature organization are essential.
- Position requires at least a bachelor's degree and at least two years office or management experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Summary of Essential Responsibilities
- Financial management
- People management
- Operational oversight Summary of Essential Skills
- Working within deadlines, and both long and short-term time cycles
- Verbal and written skills, editorial
- Attention to detail
- People skills, staff management, public speaking, artist contact
- Space management; storage, office, presentation, inventory
- Statistics/data management; archiving, access
- Teamwork and solo work combined
- Thinking systematically Summary of Work Areas
- Support To Apply
Email your current resume, cover letter, and three references to:
Manifest (Attn: Kelia Hamilton) email@example.com
Subject: Operations Manager Position Application Please note:
applications should be sent through e-mail only, in the form of a single PDF attachment containing all relevant materials. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application and will not be considered. No phone inquiries please.
Manifest Creative Research Gallery and Drawing Center was founded in 2004 by Cincinnati area professors and students. It is a 501(c)(ti) non-profit arts organization headquartered in the historic urban neighborhood of East Walnut Hills in Cincinnati, Ohio. The museum-like street level exhibition space is minutes away from downtown Cincinnati, and the numerous academic institutions of higher learning in the region. It is also within easy walking distance of a diversely populated historic neighborhood with residents from all walks of life. The galleries are free and open to the public five or more hours per day (including evenings), five days a week, presenting unique and widely varied exhibitions featuring jury selected works by artists from around the world. The 3500 square foot Manifest Drawing Center studio is located at the other end of Madison Road in another revitalizing urban community of Madisonville, about seven miles from the gallery. The Drawing Center offers life-drawing and a photographic darkroom for artists of all levels, as well as independent college-level workshops and public demos throughout the year. Mission Statement
Manifest stands for the quality presentation, experience, and documentation of the visual arts, engaging students, professionals, and the public from around the world through accessible world-class exhibits, studio programs, and publications. Manifest Gallery
serves as a venue for the display and experience of quality-vetted contemporary
visual art made by local, national, and international artists, including students and professionals. Manifest Drawing Center
promotes and explores drawing, photography, and related activities as rich
and culturally significant art forms through the pursuit of educational hands-on activities. Manifest Press
documents the organization's collaborations with artists through artfully designed
publications and has the goal to make the organization's projects accessible for public availability
everywhere, including outside its own geographical radius. The Manifest Artist Residency
supports artists in making art and engaging the general public by
providing an optimal working space and dynamic environment for meaningful growth.
Meet our team at www.manifestgallery.org/about/staff.html
To learn a lot more about Manifest, its programs, supporters, and people visit http://www.manifestgallery.org
2727 Woodburn Avenue, P.O. Box 6218, Cincinnati, Ohio 45206 tel.513-861-3638