TCT’s mission is to educate, entertain and engage audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming. We fulfill our mission through three primary programs:
- TCT MainStage at the Taft Theatre – We welcome over 102,000 children, teachers, and family members from across the Tri-State, to one of our four family-friendly and professional musical theater productions at the historic Taft.
- TCT On Tour – We see over 83,000 children and their families at one of our touring performances or during an arts-integration workshop or residency.
- TCT Academy – Over 1,200 children will be provided fine arts instruction, including the group that participates in the four-week summer NKU STAR Intensive, or three-week STAR Red Bank program, where we offer professional musical theatre training to some of the region’s most talented youth. Vision
To awaken a lifelong love of theatre in children and the young at heart. Core Beliefs
- We believe in the power of theatre to enrich lives and create deeper understandings of people, cultures, and perspectives.
- We believe that our audiences deserve high quality experiences that are rich with wonder, honesty, compassion, joy, and wisdom.
- We believe that the arts and education are not mutually exclusive.
- We believe that the art we create must respect the diversity of our community.
- We believe in the power of integrated arts education to enrich our lives and our communities. Position Overview
The Education Director assists the organization in fulfilling its mission of educating, entertaining and engaging audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming. The Education Director is a member of TCT’s Resident Artist Company and coordinates all elements of TCT’s Education Department with the assistance from members of the Education Team. The Education Director directly supports and upholds the integrity of Producing Artistic Director’s vision for the organization’s Education Department. Education Department
The Education Department consists of the following programs: TCT Academy’s Class Sessions, Private Lessons, Summer Camps, The STAR Program, The JumpStart Theatre Program, Workshops, Study Guides for all Touring and MainStage Productions, Podcasts, TCT’s Summer Stage, and future TVYA (Theatre for the Very Young) Programming. Reports and Reporting
The Education Director of The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati directly reports to the Managing Director & CEO with all artistic decisions pertaining to creative programming supervised by and collaborated on with the Producing Artistic Director. The following positions report directly to the Education Director: The TCT Academy Manager, Resident Workshop/Teaching Artists, and the Resident Playwright/Workshop Artist. The STAR Program Manager reports directly to the Education Director in matters related to STAR but co-reports to the Producing Artistic Director in matters related to this role’s administrative duties as an Executive Assistant. All contracted teachers within the academy will be supervised by the TCT Academy Manager but hired at the discretion of the Education Director and the Artistic Director. Responsibilities
The Education Director’s duties include but are not limited to:
- Overseeing all Education Department Personnel, including part-time teaching or workshop artists
- Working closely with the Finance Director, the Managing Director & CEO, and the Producing Artistic Director to create the operating budget for the Education Department
- Conducting monthly budgetary tracking and reporting, including current financial results and budget performance forecasting
- Observing teaching artists and providing feedback
- Overseeing development of new Academy programs and the growth of future TVYA programming
- Developing and implementing TCT Academy curricula and policies in collaboration with TCT Education staff; Determining what classes the Academy will offer and, in collaboration with Teaching Artists, develop guidelines for workshops and classes
- Supporting the TCT Academy Manager with day-to-day administrative needs of the Academy, including communication with parents, assist customers with class selection, organizing culminating class showcases; Resolve and troubleshoot student, parent and teacher problems or complaints
- Working with the Education Team and Marketing Department to write class description copy for TCT Academy fliers and other marketing materials. Collaborate with the Marketing Team and the Producing Artistic Director for layout and aesthetic for any publicity materials
- Working collaboratively with the STAR Program Manager, Associate Artistic Director and the Producing Artist Director on the development of STAR Program content
- Working with the Development Manager to execute the JumpStart Theatre program’s administrative needs
- Hiring and supervising JumpStart Theatre Program mentors
- Assisting with school selection for the JumpStart Theatre Program
- Performing other duties as assigned to support TCT’s mission Ideal and Minimum Qualifications
- A Master’s or a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Theatre Education or related field, or equivalent work experience with Theatre Education (3+ years experience teaching and supervising an established performing arts training academy preferred)
- Broad understanding of all aspects of theatre education with specific knowledge of developmental and education theories and the impact theatre has on youth
- Demonstrated skills in creating and maintaining budgets
- Collaborate with a tight-knit, mission-oriented, and dedicated staff
- Working knowledge of PC and Mac-based productivity software and familiarity with industry standard theatrical software.
- Prior experience leading a team in a dynamic environment
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills, both written and oral are imperative
- Experience building innovative educational programs and performance opportunities for young professionals
- Patient, likable, and a strong mentor to young artists
- Ability to build and maintain a top-class performing arts academy
- Ability to analyze and evaluate the needs for TCT Academy, TCT Workshops, Study Guides, the JumpStart Program, and additional educational materials
- Able to maintain a flexible work schedule, which may include irregular and extended working hours Salary Range and Benefits
- Annual Salary Range: $44,000-58,000 based on experience
- Relocation stipend available
- Health, vision and dental benefits available, partially subsidized by employer contributions, after a waiting period
- 403(b) retirement plan participation available with eligibility for an employer match after one year of credited service
- Generous PTO based on years of service
- Generous paid holiday schedule
- Artistic outlets are available for candidates whose skillset could add to TCT in areas outside of the Education Department: Directing, Scenic or Costume Design, for example To Apply
- TCT is committed to dismantling structures which may prevent ANYONE from applying for employment with us.
- Please submit by any means that you would like (Cover letter, video, video letter, resume, portfolio, etc.). It is important to submit whatever best represents you and your work. Include and highlight any skills or experiences you think would be most crucial to this position. Letters of recommendation and/or professional references are welcome. You may submit via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
, Subject line: EDUCATION DIRECTOR SUBMISSION
- Application deadline: July 15, 2019
- Ideal Start Date: August 19, 2019