Full-Time Position With Benefits
Starting September 2018 Summary of Position
Price Hill Will seeks a highly organized, creatively minded, and experienced individual for the position of Director of Development for MYCincinnati, Price Hill Will’s free youth orchestra program. The Director of Development will be responsible for designing, directing, and managing the strategy and execution of MYCincinnati’s development operations. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of delivering measurable results in the areas of annual fundraising and major gift development.
The position reports to MYCincinnati’s Director and Price Hill Will’s Executive Director. The Director of Development will interact and work closely with MYCincinnati staff, advisory board committee, parent committee, major donors, institutional partners, students, and volunteers. About Price Hill Will
Price Hill Will is a non-profit Comprehensive Community Development Corporation serving East, West, and Lower Price Hill. We believe that all aspects of the neighborhood which affect quality of life must be improved to have a truly successful community. To that end, we concentrate on Community Events, Economic Development, Housing Development, Creative Placemaking, Creative Youth Development, and the Arts. About MYCincinnati
MYCincinnati (Music for Youth in Cincinnati) is a free, daily youth orchestra program for children in Price Hill. Founded in 2011 on the idea that personal transformation can be achieved by striving toward musical excellence, students enrolled in MYCincinnati have the opportunity to learn an orchestral instrument and play in an ensemble. MYCincinnati is inspired by El Sistema, the Venezuelan national youth orchestra network that uses music as a vehicle for social change. Currently, there are 120 students (age 5-18) enrolled in MYCincinnati’s daily programming which includes orchestra rehearsals, sectionals, private lessons, elective classes, and homework help.
MYCincinnati’s innovative programming for teens includes the Ambassador Ensemble Program, which combines engagement with issues of social justice with collaborative chamber music; the Youth Apprentice Program in partnership with ArtWorks, that offers current MYCincinnati students meaningful employment and creative work experience; and the Citizen Artist Fellowship, a program designed for graduating students transitioning into post-secondary.
MYCincinnati’s young musicians have performed with exciting artists, including pianist Awadagin Pratt, experimental rockband Deerhoof, theater artist Kaneza Schaal, the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, songwriter Jens Lekman, and more. During the summer, MYCincinnati hosts the annual Price Hill Creative Community Festival, a free neighborhood festival that uses collaborative performing arts as a tool to build a more creative and inclusive community. Director of Development Job Description
- Design, direct, and manage the strategy and execution of MYCincinnati’s development operations.
- Achieve or surpass MYCincinnati’s annual fundraising goals
- Understand, represent, and communicate MYCincinnati’s core values and mission Fundraising Operations
- Develop, implement, and manage fundraising operations for MYCincinnati, including donor-tracking systems, data management, meeting preparation, event planning and execution, gift processing, and post-gift donor management
- Develop, implement, and manage unique and innovative strategies for fundraising at a neighborhood and community level
- Research and implement development software, enter and update data, and train key MYCincinnati staff in its use
- Develop efficient and effective ways to organize development data and program information
- Work with MYCincinnati Director to achieve fundraising goals for special programs, including the annual Price Hill Creative Community Festival Grant Administration
- Manage grants database, monitor grant and grant report deadlines to ensure compliance with both, and submit grant applications
- Work with MYCincinnati Director on writing grant narratives
- Continually research local, regional, and national grant opportunities (both public and private) Major Gift Development
- Design, direct, and execute MYCincinnati’s first major gift program
- Research, identification, and successful cultivation of major gift prospects
- Prioritize and communicate actions for MYCincinnati Director and MYCincinnati Advisory Board around cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors
- Cultivate, maintain, and strengthen relationships with foundation trustees Annual Fundraising Campaign
- Work with MYCincinnati staff to design and execute ambitious, effective, and creative annual campaigns
- Leverage MYCincinnati’s existing database of donors to successfully re-engage past donors, with additional attention given to one-time donors, or donors that are no longer giving
- Work with MYCincinnati Director to design an annual report that can be shared among various platforms (print, website, social media, etc.)
Promotion & Communications
- Design and/or manage the design of promotional materials across a number of print and digital platforms
- Design and send the monthly MYCincinnati e-newsletter
- Work with MYCincinnati staff to more effectively reach and engage neighborhood residents, in the context of concerts, events, and student recruitment Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 3 to 5 years of work experience, minimum, in non-profit fundraising
- Proven track record and achievement in designing and executing annual campaigns
- Proven track record and achievement in cultivation of major gifts from individuals
- Experience organizing and executing fundraising events
- Demonstrated experience with prospect and donor management software
- Excellent formal writing skills
- Experience in Cincinnati strongly preferred
- Experience with arts non-profit organizations preferred
- Spanish proficiency a plus Candidate Profile & Skills
- Highly organized and self-motivated
- Optimistic and resilient, especially in the face of challenging, high-pressure situations
- Extremely flexible and adaptable to an ever-changing work environment
- Strong storyteller with the ability to inspire and engage donors, supporters, and partners through the presentation of MYCincinnati’s mission and core values
- Socially engaged and critically reflexive, interested in approaching the work with equity-based and/or social justice frameworks
- Impeccable communication skills, both written and oral
- Sharp understanding of the beliefs, contexts, and motivations of local and national philanthropic sector
- Excited to work and thrive in diverse communities and settings
- Excellent leadership ability and strong interpersonal skills
- Willingness to work as part of a diverse team
- Possesses natural curiosity and desire to improve and develop professional abilities
- Knowledge of the arts and arts education, particularly music Additional Expectations
- Must be able to work some nights and weekends
- Must be able to travel occasionally for work
- Must pass background check
- Must have valid driver’s license and regular access to a vehicle Salary & Benefits
- $51,500 - $60,000 salary, commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision insurance included
- Flexible vacation / PTO policy To Apply
Please prepare one PDF document with the following materials. Inaccurate and/or incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Cover letter
- Three professional references
Successful applications will demonstrate an understanding and alignment with MYCincinnati’s mission and core values.
Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org
no later than 11:59 PM on July 6, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a first come, first serve basis, and the position may be filled before the application deadline has been reached. Late applications will not be reviewed.
Price Hill Will does not discriminate in hiring or service delivery based on race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, or physical or mental disability unrelated to an individual’s ability to perform the job, in accordance with applicable laws.