Director of Operations and Production About the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company
The Cincinnati Shakespeare Company (CSC) is a resident ensemble theatre company bringing Shakespeare and the Classics to life for audiences of all ages. Operating out of The Otto M. Budig Theater, CSC hosts a year-round theatrical season in addition to special events, educational programming, and outreach efforts. In its theatrical portfolio, CSC executes up to 10 mainstage productions and 6 touring productions annually. Beyond its theatrical portfolio, CSC supports collaborations with many local community and arts organizations.
Diversity and inclusion are priorities of the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company. CSC strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, sex, religion, creed, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or any other legally protected classification. Applicants of varied backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. Position Overview
The Front of House (FOH) Manager is essential to CSC, collaborating closely with the Director of Operations and Production, Facility Manager, Development Team, and Production Team to ensure CSC executes all front of house operations to the highest possible standard. At their core, the FOH Manager’s highest priority is the overall experience and safety of all patrons of CSC. CSC is truly seeking a leader that can assess FOH areas and systems and continue to build upon them to improve the overall success of these areas.
The primary areas of ownership of the FOH Manager are the box office, bar, usher coordination, and house management. The FOH Manager hires, trains, schedules, and supervises part-time bartenders and box office associates. They are also responsible for regular bar inventory, ordering, and stocking. The FOH Manager serves as the house manager for all CSC productions, and manage the volunteer ushers at each performance. The FOH Manager may manage special events, educational matinees, or other activities leveraging front of house spaces or resources. The FOH Manager also coordinates vendors who participate in the overall FOH experience including valet.
The schedule for the Front of House Manager averages 40-45 working hours per week. Standard workweeks when CSC is in performance are approximately 11:30am-5:30pm Wednesday, 11:30am-11:00pm Thursday through Saturday, and 11:30am-5:30pm Sunday. Note that performance week schedules fluctuate around the holidays and seasonal productions. Peak performance schedules may require 6 working days per week. Standard workweeks outside of performance consist of 35-40 working hours flexed around the box office schedule and dependent on the needs of the business and preferences of the FOH Manager.
The Cincinnati Shakespeare Company truly operates as a team. To consistently achieve excellence, it is possible that the FOH Manager will be asked to assist departments beyond their area of focus or expertise. This effort is requested under exceptional circumstances. Qualifications Required skills include:
- 1-2 years of experience in a customer service, leadership role preferred.
- Demonstrated excellence in customer service skills.
- Strong schedule management skills.
- Strong verbal communication skills, particularly in small group meetings, 1-on-1s, and donor-facing interactions.
- Genuine interest in creating a diverse, collaborative, and inclusive work environment.
- Able to keep calm under pressure and remain tactful in stressful situations.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- A sense of humor.
- Leading with kindness, willing to have crucial conversations, and prioritizing tact in communication.
- Able to stand for up to 3 hours, lift 30 pounds, bend, kneel, and stoop occasionally. Preferred skills include:
- Experience with House Management, Bar Management, or Box Office Management.
- Experience coordinating/working with volunteers.
- Proficiency in the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook). Responsibilities Box Office
- Work in the box office when shifts overlap with regular weekly schedule.
- Execute box office transactions in person, via email, over the phone.
- Greet anyone who comes to CSC main entrance and offer assistance.
- Hire, supervise, train, and schedule hourly box office associates; approve timecards.
- Weekly inventory of merchandise and associated reporting. Bar
- Weekly inventory and record keeping and associated reporting.
- Help drive bar profitability and business plan.
- Hire, supervise, train, and schedule hourly bartenders; approve timecards.
- Regular ordering of bar inventory including beverages, concessions, garnishes, and necessities (napkins, cups, etc.) and physical restocking of these items. House Management
- House manage or work in the box office for all public performances.
- Coordinate with Development Department regarding volunteer scheduling.
- Lead team of volunteer ushers for each performance.
- Coordinate with Stage Management regarding house opening, closing, and audience communication.
- Send nightly FOH report. General
- Take ultimate pride in the appearance of FOH spaces, staff execution, and audience experience.
- Champion for audience safety; maintain CPR certification and own emergency response efforts.
- Collaborate with Director of Operations and Production on front of house staffing, standards, and training.
- Lead/attend front of house meetings with other key staff.
- Weekly expense reporting against company credit card, reimbursements, petty cash.
- Adhere to company policies and regulations per the CSC Company Handbook.
- Maintain a safe, fair, and ethical working environment.
- Other duties as requested. Compensation & Benefits
This is a FTE position with an annual salary of $30,000 (received through biweekly payroll). In addition to this salary, the FOH Manager receives:
- Ten days of paid vacation, accrued seasonally.
- Six days of paid sick leave, accrued seasonally.
- Paid holiday leave.
- At risk compensation includes participation in CSC’s profit sharing bonus program starting with second season of employment.
- Access to group health insurance through Anthem with 50% of employee premiums paid by CSC.
- Optional enrollment in Health Savings Account plan.
- Access to dental insurance through Dental Care Plus with 50% of employee premiums paid by CSC.
- Life and AD&D coverage for the employee paid by CSC.
- Maternity/paternity leave, short-term medical leave.
- Access to group vision insurance (premiums paid by employee).
- Optional health, dental, and life insurance coverage for dependents (premiums paid by employee).
- Free access to CSC educational programming for dependents (Groundlings Junior, Groundlings, Summer Camp).
- Complimentary and discounted tickets to all CSC productions. To Apply
To apply, please send cover letter, résumé, three references, and a selection of relevant work samples to Maddie Regan, Director of Operations and Production, at email@example.com
. No phone calls. Position will remain open until filled.