Lifting as We Learn
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Access
We acknowledge the deep-rooted systemic racism that permeates our society. The structural inequity and persistent injustice faced by African Americans has been even more starkly revealed by a global pandemic and unconscionable killings of Black Americans by law enforcement. We commit to accelerating and expanding programs and investments that will support the elimination of systemic racism and bridge cultural divides.
ArtsWave believes an inclusive arts community reflects the diversity of the region it serves. As the region’s arts council and engine for the arts, our goal is to build and nurture an environment where diversity, equity, inclusion and access are embedded in everything we touch and do. We are committed to honoring and sharing our community’s collective history and experiences through leadership, funding, programming and community engagement.
ArtsWave believes that a broad range of voices at all levels of our funded organizations are essential to driving authentic, inclusive, and sustainable community impact through the arts. ArtsWave further believes that a diversity of art forms, representative of all backgrounds and experiences, contributes to the dynamic environment necessary to be a welcoming, relevant and globally competitive 21st-century region.
ArtsWave promotes an environment where all artists from all backgrounds can find opportunity and can thrive. ArtsWave will connect artists in our community with appreciative public audiences through events and engagements that enliven neighborhoods; increase appreciation of our community’s many cultures; and increase opportunities for participatory arts experiences.
As we continue to learn and grow on this journey, we will:
• Invest in a diverse array of arts and cultural organizations that share our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and access.
• Increase resources for under-capitalized or emerging arts organizations led by people of color.
• Promote and celebrate the voices and expressions of all artists living and working in our community.
• Create a workplace culture that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic self to work.
• Establish robust internal systems to recruit staff, board members, volunteers, and vendors that represent our entire community
• Build audiences for the arts that are increasingly reflective of the region we serve.